Would like to extend my recent XML parsing projects into a generic FeedAPI parser.
FeedAPI issues requesting this sort of thing:
Support for Other XML Types REST to Read APIs like Amazon Associates
Parsing other XML feeds
Process for generic feeds:
- Create content->XML feed would do an initial fetch for analysis. Raw XML saved - no parsing/processing yet.
- Analysis stage - like FEMP, identify feed structure. But, instead of mapping elements to existing node fields:
- Allow attributes as well as elements to be fields.
- Specify which elements turn into nodes (create new node types from here).
- Define CCK fields (behind-the-scenes) for elements and attributes from here.
- Generate theme files (.tpl.php) automatically.
- Finally, process that initial feed into nodes, and enable automatic processing going forward. Well, maybe allow some test processing before turning on the automated refresh.
- Export/import all that work, for use with other feeds of the same structure. Include library of common setups, allow sharing of others...
- Save fingerprint of feed structure to automatically identify similar feeds.